Saturday, February 7, 2009

Literature During the Spanish Era (no.2)

To all my students in Lit 1, the following is the continuation of the first handout on Spanish Era. If you want to look for the previous handouts, please go to the archive section.
A. Poetry


To The Virgin Mary


Rizal dedicates this sonnet to the Virgin Mary venerated by all Catholics.


Mary, sweet peace, solace dear


Of pained mortal ! You're the fount


Whence emanates the stream of succour,


That without cease our soil fructifies.



From thy throne, from heaven high,


Kindly hear my sorrowful cry !


And may thy shining veil protect


My voice that rises with rapid flight.




Thou art my Mother, Mary, pure;


Thou'll be the fortress of my life;


Thou'll be my guide on this angry sea.


If ferociously vice pursues me,


If in my pains death harasses me,


Help me, and drive away my woes !
************


Our Mother Tongue

A poem originally in Tagalog written by Rizal when he was only eight years old.

IF truly a people dearly love

The tongue to them by Heaven sent,

They'll surely yearn for liberty

Like a bird above in the firmament.

BECAUSE by its language one can judge

A town, a barrio, and kingdom;

And like any other created thing

Every human being loves his freedom.

ONE who doesn't love his native tongue,

Is worse than putrid fish and beast;

AND like a truly precious thing

It therefore deserves to be cherished.

THE Tagalog language's akin to Latin,

To English, Spanish, angelical tongue;

For God who knows how to look after us

This language He bestowed us upon.

AS others, our language is the same

With alphabet and letters of its own,

It was lost because a storm did destroy

On the lake the bangka 1 in years bygone.